BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > MASB32
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MASB32 today(June 2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 7:31pm
MA/SB 32 will shortly be on the market for £50k,thought I'd let forum users know beforehand as dad will prefer to sell to an enthusiast and may take offers.Message them to me.
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 6:17pm
Her history in pictures now edited into post 1.
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 11:40am
Christain

Do you have any performance records for her in her current configuration, eg discplacement (or draft fore and aft), power (at engine or shaft, revs and measured speed? Also what gear boxes and props are fitted? Is it on original shaft and  P-Brackets?

Regards
AndyS
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 12:34pm

Hi Andy

Her new 2725 6-cyl diesels are normally aspirated giving 136hp @ 2600rpm with 385Nm torque.She has new 2.5:1 boxes and the original 25 x 21 props on the original outer shafts.She does about 12kts as is,and would likely do 14kts by changing the props to 24 x 24.She is absurdly light for a 63ft boat,probably about 15-20 tons,you will likely come up with a more accurate figure if you study the pictures of her and extrapolate the current draught from them by comparing her service weight to her service waterline,and her current weight to her current waterline.

Regards,Christian

Edited by Christian
AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 12:48pm
Christian

Would you be able to measure the freeboard from the bow and transom from the top of the deck to the waterline, and estimate the deck thickness. This would let me calculate a displacement and centre of gravity. Also if the original props are still fitted then there may be BPBCo number rand I might be able to identify them.

Over time I would like to fill in some bits of the performance curves for the BPBCo vessels, especially as they are not operated at full load, full power and with the restrictors off as in service. Also many of the claims made for a lot of these boats is rather unreliable as it is seldom backed up with accurate measurements and a trials weight / condition, so I am trying to slowly fill some gaps in, when I get time!

Best regards
AndyS

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 1:00pm

Hi Andy

Her weight is apparently more like 12-15tons,will measure freeboard on Wednesday and let you know.

Regards,Christian.

p.s.price was dropped to £35k to accomodate a buyer's budget as it then was,but as no deposit has since been received she is essentially still on the market.

p.p.s.she is the last seaworthy Whaleback in Europe at the moment.

Edited by Christian
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 11:58am

Hi Andy

Measurements are:

sea level to flat bearing surface of (original) bow fitting 1.92m

sea level to deck on transom centreline 1.37m 

Deck has 3/4" marine ply over original timbers,bow fitting rests at original height but additional 19mm to be subtracted from figure aft. 

Edited by Christian
The Pom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:38am

I purchased Fervent on 31st March 1966 from Penton Hook Yach Basin, Staines Lane, Chertsey, Surrey for 3,750 pounds sterling. I subsequently sailed her to Gibraltar with my wife Margaret, Son John 5, and daughters Angela 4 and Libby 3 on board for the whole, somewhat eventful, journey.

For those interested, there is an article, with six photos, of S32 "in action" on page 139 of the June 1942 edition of The Motorboat and Yachting.

There were two versions of this "Short Whaleback". One for the Royal Navy powered by two Marine Rolls-Royce Merlins of 1,100 bhp each and the other for the Royal Air Force powered by three Napier Sea-Lion engines of 500 bhp each. Six were built for the Navy in 1940 which served as MGBs sometimes working with the RAF as ASRs. Up to eighty were built for the RAF. The designed speed with the three Napier Sea-Lions was 36.5 knots at 2,450 rpm. (Fervent was fitted with three Perkins S6Ms with 2:1 reduction gearboxes swinging 23.5 x 23 inch props)

I registered Fervent with Lloyds and carved her number into the deck beam immediately above the forward companion way. My son John, daughter Angela and I flew to Malaga in November 2005, hired a car and drove to Gibraltar where we spent the day with Christian's father Hector looking over 32. The deck beam on which I had carved Fervent's number had been cut away. I have several photos of Fervent under way and at anchor.

I thoroughly recommend the book Fast Boats and Flying Boats, a biography of Hubert Scott-Paine, by Adrian Rance. (ISBN 1-85455-026-8) which gives a VERY comprehensive history of this class of boat.

Peter W
The Pom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 4:02am
Sorry, that should have been November 2004 not 2005.
Peter W
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 10:38am

Hello The Pom

Of the several versions of 63ft Whaleback produced MA/SB 32 is one of the MA/SB 22-39 batch (short deckhouse) which oddly enough were built with two Napier Sea Lions giving 23 knots. I say oddly because 32 certainly does have evidence of a third shaft, a bit of a mystery. Her ID was confirmed by historian Philip Simons once her yard number had been located on the inside top of her stempost (her previous owner Gordon Bland always maintained she was an ex-RAF HSL, although I do not know where he got this information from). I had not heard of any 63ft boats being powered by RR Merlins, this is fascinating news as I thought only certain 70ft Whalebacks had these.

Regards,Christian. 

Edited by Christian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic