BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Exercise Tiger
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"504th tactical US army" & Exercise Tiger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "504th tactical US army" & Exercise Tiger
    Posted: 30 December 2011 at 3:56pm

Hello all,

First post here and it seems a good place to ask a question of your good selves.

I’ve come across a reference to the “504th tactical US army” as having taken part in Exercise Tiger but cannot find out any more about this unit.

Has anyone here heard of it or know if it actually refers to another unit? I presume it was part of VII Corps.

Any help much appreciated and happy New Year to all.

Kind Rgds

PeterK  

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 4:49pm
Hello 'PeterK'
The '504th Tactical US Army' was indeed involved in the early phase of Execise Tiger. This unit is reported to have begun' seaward landings' at 7:40am on the 27 April before  receiving the one hour postponment notice ordered by Rear Admiral Moon USN - (7:30 to 8:30am).
HMS Hawkins also did not receive the postponment notice and working to the pre-planned 'softening up of Beach-head defences' she had delivered at least 120 HE large calibre shells onto the landing area, causing many casualties.
'Channel Firing' by Nigel Lewis is a good source of information on this little known part of the tragedy that was 'Exercise Tiger' (ISBN 0-670-82398-8)
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
PeterK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 9:37am
Thanks for the reply Pioneer. Much appreciated and I'll get hold of a copy of "Channel Firing".

Coming at it from a purely historical perspective, I saw the reference to the 504th in the log of the Hawkins and wondered who they were, what they did and why the Hawkins specifically named them as beginning the "seaward landings" at 07.40 - the Hawkins had fired on the beaches from 06.55 to 07.05

Further to the timings, HMS Enterprise fired "one salvo" at 08.40 so it's possible the 504th were, sadly, the recipients on the beach.

I've e-mailed the relevant US army people to ask them about the 504th and will post their answer for anyone who's interested.

Kind rgds
Peter

PeterK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 1:10pm

To keep you updated: I received this reply from the US Army Centre of Military History regarding the 504th tactical US army:

"Did a quick check in a VII Corps AAR covering Jun 44 to May 45 and didn’t see any unit with a  504.  I have nothing available on hand for the period prior to June 44.  “Tactical” usually isn’t used in either official or unofficial Army designations, but was used frequently in USAAF names.  The only 504th I could find, however, served in the Pacific.   Without additional information, I don’t think I can clarify the reference."

Goodness knows who they were and why HMS Hawkins saw fit to name them as leading the seaward landings on Exercise Tiger!

PeterK

Pioneer, fyi-your inbox is fullSmile

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 10:10pm
Thank you PeterK
Cleared it out.

I note that your contact had only information after June 1944. As you know the incident happened April '44, maybe the unit was so depleted that it was merged elsewhere - but of course that is only conjecture.

Regards

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 1:59pm
Quite a refreshing interpretation of Exercise Tiger went out on Channel 5 (UK) last night - finally an airing of the little known first phase of the tragedy - the shelling of the beach head by RN ships.
Hopefully this will be aired again.
(Sorry about the opening adverts)

Edited by Pioneer - 21 March 2012 at 2:03pm
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 10:43am
Hi Pioneer,

Many thanks for this, my father has just done a piece for them, although not maritme, must get a digital box soon to see all this great? TV! or some of it.

Johnk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic