BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB458

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 11:46am

Hi, Rozm2,

Just a note to try and help clear up any confusion re seizing and sale of goods to pay bills. Obviously what follows is in very general terms and needs to be tailored to fit individual situations but, in general terms a person or body which is owed money, the Creditor, for work or services  and who holds property of the person that owes the money, the Debtor, can if they so chose give notice to the debtor, in proper form. After the requisit period of time has elapsed then the creditor may sell the item held but they are under a duty to obtain the higest price possiable. This duty is usually discharged by selling at auction.

The Creditor will then deduct what he is owed plus the costs of sale from the proceeds of sale and account to the debtor for any balance. If the sale does not produce sufficent funds then the creditor can persue the debtor for the then otstanding balance using the usual methods, eg County Court summons etc.

Now the disclaimer!!!! You are dvised to take legal advice before taking or refraing from taking any steps as a result of anything you have read in this post.

Hope the above is of some assistance.

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 3:58pm

From Phil Simons;

Uppermost boat is Shearwater ex BPB 71.5ft MTB 477 ex MGB 158.

Bottom boat is Talisman ex BPB 71.5ft MTB 455 ex MGB 136.

The beamy hull above her is an ex Norwegian Nasty Class called Four Acres, ex Jo ex P 346.

So we definately need to persuade someone closeby to paddle over and take a few pictures! 

Edited by Christian
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 2:15am

Who do i talk to about aquiring 458??

I know most people would call me mad but think on this. She sank last year as a result of taking water through her decks. Needs to dry out but prob not rotten. Anyone tell me who i need to talk to on this one? Rather see her restored than a curiosity for photographers when she's wrecked.

Help me on this amigos??

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 11:14am

Jimmy,

Please have a look at the posts under HSL 145. Would be happy to see you there if you can make it.

Regards

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

CCFT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 3:21am

Toronto

9 Feb 07

Hello Gentlemen (Hello Christian),

I discovered your forum today via the Naval Museum of Manitoba discussion forum and was greatly interested in your discussions about MTB 458 and Sungo, not to mention MTBs 455 and 477.

I belong to a trust based in Toronto, Canada (the Canadian Coastal Forces Trust) whose specific aim is the preservation of the Sungo as we have positively identified her as the last Canadian MTB, 486, with the help of Philip Simons and John Lambert.  Her owners have agreed to sell her to us if we can raise sufficient funds.  486 was a part of the 29th (Canadian) MTB Flotilla, commanded by LtCdr C. Tony Law, and was in fact his command after his earlier boat, MTB 459 was damaged by enemy gunfire.

As a part of this endeavour, I visited MTBs 455/Talisman, 458/Mahaba, 477/Shearwater and 486/Sungo in Southampton, and MTBs 439/The Clive, 456/Nokomis, 481/Bimini, 487/Venture and 490/Laguna in Shoreham (all their owner were most welcoming and interested in my mission).  Needless to say, these are all British Powerboat Company 71.5’ MTBs (or converted MGBs), which were classified as “G Types” in the former RCN.  Other than MTB 439 which was commanded by Lt C.A. “Bones” Burk, RCNVR (who later commanded her sister, MTB 461 in the 29th Flotilla) and 458, which are both hulks, the remainder tend to be in good shape and even have many original bulkheads (477/Shearwater while well looked after, is heavily modified and only her hull is now original).  Unfortunately, 458 is a completely rotten hulk and too dangerous to even walk on, but she does appear to be the only one of the above mentioned that still has her original chartroom.  Philip tells me that she is probably still the legal property of the owner who allowed her to sink and rot.  Also, 439 is unsalvageable, now completely filled with earth to act as a non-floating quay.  Sadly, 481/Bimini may also be lost as her owners are upgrading to a larger steel hulled boat this summer, and if they cannot sell her, they shall have to break her up.

Two additional boats of this class that we were investigating were MTB 506/Ambra and Raia, in Malta, because we also wish to have a functional example of this class as a working museum ship, rather like the Americans have done with the Liberty Ship John Brown, but of course on a much smaller scale (one does have to admire the way the US protects their history).  Raia has since been sunk by her owners, Captain Morgan Tours, so we will never know her identity, and we have been offered 506/Ambra for free, if we will just take her away (which is ironic as they were asking $100 000 US just two years ago for each boat).  Unfortunately, it will cost us about $40 000 US to ship her across the Atlantic and we have nowhere to keep her in the UK until the money can be raised.  We also need to ascertain whether she could even be motored from Malta to England as we suspect that Captain Morgan have let her deteriorate.  Paradoxically, we may have to forgo on the offer of the free BPC MTB and watch 506/Ambra also scuttled.

There, in a nutshell, is where the CCFT stands in regard to these existing MTBs.  At least MGB 81 has been saved (and beautifully restored – I visited her also at the kind invitation of her owner, Robin Clabburn), but we will not stop until at least 486, and perhaps one other, is also preserved.

Lt(N) Nicholas CM Armstrong
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 4:47am

Hi CCFT

Anywhere in malta to keep her while you look?

Let me know your progress & try to get Ambra a stay of execution.What a waste

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 4:04pm
Having read the above posts it is a crying shame that the history of Nations is being lost in this way. Surerly there are people out there who even if they don't want to or can't for whatever reason get their hands dirty have the money and National pride, to help ensure that these boats and others like them don't go down without a fight.No pun intended.
SRW

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 5:31pm

Hi All,

Just read the post ex Lt Armstrong, wrote elsewhere about Ship's Monthly article on Sungo/486. Very interesting and like Sentley I to am so fustrated that we are losing these craft, what a pity there is no where in Malta to keep hold of Ambra, really can't offer much in the way of ideas there, but... re the UK without saying at this stage I could do anything at all..if you private message me I might have some thoughts, sorry to be dense, but we are looking at around 70' aren't we? So glad you thought well of 81, indeed a great job done, would also as ever point to MTB 102 and Medusa, understand as ever running such vessels can be difficult but they prove not impossible and I come down on the side of the best thing is to run them if at all possible, only laying up if not. I wish you all the best with your efforts, and will watch for developements if you would be so kind as to keep us all updated.

Regards

John  

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 8:18pm

Hello Nicholas

Sad news indeed about Raia, Dad would have bought her if the boatyard here hadn't been developed. He saw her in ferry service only a few years ago, she surely can't have been too bad. I do hope you and JohnK can find a temporary place for Ambra in the UK. I'm sure Phil has told you already there are at least 4 more in the UK, at Hayling Island Platypus ex 467 and Fontenay ex 437. At Hoo Elektra ex 469 and on the Medway Quiberon ex 505. Sadly another good one was broken up in Spain quite recently, she was never identified but served for very many years in the Spanish Customs service as Milano. I don't know of any others still surviving.

Regards, Christian.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 8:50pm

Hi, Christian.

You have kindly listed the 4 other boats that are in the UK. Do you mean that they are for sale or just that they are in existance? If for sale do you have any details to pass on please

Regards

SRW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic