BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB458

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 9:10pm

Hello Sentley

I think houseboat Quiberon is still on the market, try the houseboat centre, for around £85,000.00. Makes the MA/SB seem quite cheap!

General notice to all forum users; Wikipedia have uploaded two very fine photos of MGB 81 (MTB 416 for the sake of this topic) they can be downloaded; once you click on the picture, click on full-size and you'll get a 1MB size picture.

Link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Gun_Boat

Rgds, Christian.

S R Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S R Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2007 at 9:29pm

Evening Christian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The other way to look at it is that Quiberon is rather expensive!!! I agree, however, that the MA/SB is at a good price. As you know if I had the money I would buy her now. As you also know it is not just the purchase price but the committment and money required for her upkeep and I don't think anybody can do that alone unless they have very deep pockets.

Regards

SRW
"Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy" WSC.

CCFT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 4:48am

10 February 2007

Thank you to everyone who has posted emails concerning our venture to save MTB 506.  We do not know what the owners of 481/Bimini will be asking, or even when they shall be listing their boat, but it is quite conceivable that they shall not be able to sell her.  We have no idea how sound her hull is, but I have been below decks and can tell you that many original bulkheads are still in place.   

We do have concerns regarding an attempt to motor to the UK in an unseaworthy vessel and it would appear from other interested postings that, unfortunately, the French Canals will not be an option.  We shall be shortly emailing our contact at Captain Morgan in the hopes of getting a better picture of what state 506 is in, how sound her hull is and what types of equipment and engines she still has on board, although it is likely that she has been stripped of much of it.  We must also discover how long Captain Morgan will keep her before going ahead and scuttling her.  I visited both 506 and Raia back in ’03, and know that both were quite bare below decks.  Few original bulkheads were still in place and they had been mostly opened up into a single large compartment.

If we decide against taking 506, we would certainly be happy for another group to save her and would certainly pass their name(s) along to Captain Morgan.  

Yours aye,

Lieutenant (Navy) Nicholas CM Armstrong, Canadian Forces

President

Canadian Coastal Forces Trust

Lt(N) Nicholas CM Armstrong
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 8:14am

Hi All,

Just read all the post flowing ex Lt Armstrongs and latest, all very good stuff ie advice and suggestions, do hope something comes of it. Have said before, excepting all the aruguments about up-keep of these vessels in the future, as you said Sentley, should "we" not be trying to get hold of these craft before they all go so at least it can be thought about and assesed at to wether to keep them or not, yes we have some great examples, MTB 102 etc, but it is fustrating as I am sure it is for others, to see them go. Said before, may be when the BMPT has more of an idea about what we are getting at Poole, we might be looking at a possible base for more vessels to be saved/stored even restored! we shall see.

Regards

John

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 9:16am

I think I missed something. Is there now a plot to deprive the CCFT of 506? The men of the Canadian 29th made huge sacrifices and the Canadians are just as entitled to her. Who are the "we" referred to above? Is it not the heritage of Britain and her wartime dominions also? I wish Nicholas the best of luck in his quest. Ultimately the preservation of these vessels is the most important thing, wherever they end up.

Rgds,  

Edited by Christian
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 9:46am

Hi Christian,

Ah, I really am sorry if I have caused such offence! in no way was I suggesting depriving the CCFT of the chance to get 506 or any other vessel, if they can get hold of them and save them, great! I was thinking of other vessels that could/should be saved, the "we" reference, well perhaps I should have put "someone", I was trying to refer to the ever present question of who is going to do something, again, sorry if it gave the impression of "hot air", I am involved with marine heritage, only from a distance in terms of coastal forces at the moment, ie member of BMPT, MTB102. I have said that I would be happy to offer any help or suggestions that I can to CCFT or any one else, OK I know suggestions and advice are ten a penny and indeed actions speak louder than words. Again my apologies for any offence caused.

Regards

John 

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 10:07am

Sorry John, it seems your post above confused me into thinking you were saying something else.

Rgds,

dgray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 10:52am
Hi Christian,

I made a comment earlier wondering about the feasibility of gettting the Malta boat onto the hard somewhere, for the CCFT or whoever to get hold of.

In Port Leucate th 65'  was about £150  per month on the hard. There must be other marinas/yards littering the coast of the Med where ther Boat could be  stored until Summer.

If this would buy a breathing space for this boat, it seems a logical  step to take.   While waiting on the hard, she could be gotten (more) seaworthy  ready for whatever journey awaits. 

Like I said, a breathing space....  Do you know of any suitable places on Malta or nearby.  The North African coast seems most logical....

Cheers

Don

Only a number, not even a name. How shall posterity hear of thy fame?
northeastuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northeastuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 11:52am

I don’t think john did anything more or less than what some of the rest of us do

I think there is a lot of general talk on this forum. A lot of it is phrased in terms of we or us. But I think this is just the way we have ended up talking in broad terms here.

Nothing wrong with that. However someone new to the forum may take more from what we say that what we mean. Did that make sense?

But Christian is right in that we should support what the CCFT in what they do.(Well I think that is what he meant!) I for one would like to say that I will support them in anyway possible. To put it bluntly they were there first and they have a right to remember our common history. ( No offence to anyone)

Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 12:14pm

Hello All

I have been watching this thread and I would just point out that this is a discussion Forum - sometimes during the course of any 'discussion' somethings are misunderstood but are usually quickly corrected and John and Christian, in this case, quickly sorted out any misinterpretation. The 'we' was intended to mean all of us enthusiasts I would think - no matter from where we hail Canada UK Aus (and even Gib) etc NEuser has hit the nail - I would suggest

Edited by Pioneer
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic