BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB458

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 2:33pm

Hello rozm2

I have sent you a private message with the owner's name and last known address,I hope something may come of it.I shouldn't worry about cans of worms,it's better you know if she owes fees from the outset rather than this catching up with you at a later date,anyway I'd have thought that if you present the council with a valid case for her restoration as a vessel of national historic interest they'd let you off paying anything at all (maybe even make a contribution?!).

Best Regards,Christian.

rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 3:36pm
Thanks Christian, sent a reply to you. I'd have thought that if any fees were due then they'd be able to sieze the vessel in return for unpaid fees and sell it for a pound or some token ammount and if you suggested that long term it would either mean she is restored or removed to be restored they'd be pleased, as oposed to the alternative which is her sitting on the bottom for the next few years untill they get round to disposing of her!? I'll walk over there when I'm next in southampton and take it from there, I may decide she looks like too much work but as I said in my reply at last she's got the superstructure as so many have lost and her sinking may just be as a result of abandonment and hence the normal seeping in of water has just built up and she's got to her current state?
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 7:09pm

Re more info,here's a pic and a plan.All the specs you could possibly desire are on the home page (click on the bmpt icon top left of page) under "Select a boat" and click on MGB81.

rozm2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 9:11pm

I thought perhaps the two were the same, as you say most of the specs are there, any chance of a higher res version of the two above pix, e-mail them direct to me, I'll pm you with my e-mail address. Would the superstrucure etc be the same as the MGB's and just the armaments changed or is the whole thing different but on the same hull. It's pretty handy being the same as MGB 81 since I saw her in the flesh about 2 months back when at Bucklers Hard, that'd be a sight to see her running!

AndyS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 11:52am
rozm2

There were very few of these boats exactly the same as their armament was continually changed and developed. There were also changes between deckhouse length and also the high and low chine versions.

Some of the differences are quite wel recorded in the historian's records.

Regards
AndyS
Kax29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kax29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 11:39am

I found some pictures of this "houseboat" online at http://www.flickr.mud.yahoo.com/search/?q=houseboat&w=67 928846%40N00

I walk over Cobden Bridge pretty much every day and wanted to find out more about this boat. Thanks for this forum, it's amazing what information is out there if you look hard enough.  K.

jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:58pm

Heres 458 from google earth.

These two are a few hundred yards downstream next to the railway bridge. Look like mtb's but these were taken from 12miles up, if anyone's local could they have a look?

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws money
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 1:03pm

Forgot to add, these pics could be a couple of years old. Google earth not updated very often.

cheers all

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 2:03pm
Dominic Winsor who supplied the original photo I posted of Mahaba said that a couple of these boats did look like MTBs too, but that the area they are in is closed to the public and he couldn't get close enough to snap them. I'm putting out feelers to see if anyone knows more.
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:59pm
Anyone local with a boat, canoe ect who fancies a run past with a camera next time their out?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic