BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Scimitar Class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scimitar Class found Dec 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scimitar Class found Dec 2005
    Posted: 13 December 2005 at 8:28pm
I've been busy searching the internet for surviving CF and RAF craft,I've come across some interesting boats and a few surprises(e.g.no less than 11 Fairmile Bs still in operation,mostly as immaculate motoryachts,mostly for sale for serious money.Ditto HDMLs)but this one is too good to not tell you all about.There's a Scimitar class for sale(EUR300,000)in Northern Germany.She looks immaculate and almost original(just the addition of covered bridge)and is seriously worth a look http://yachtworld.com/jbyachts scroll down the page until you get to 98'Vosper Thornycroft.Look at those 5-blade props!She has serious power too. 
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 3:19pm

Hello Christian,

I saw the advert and as you say its full of surprises. I doubt that it was a 'Scimitar' though. The RN Scimitar class was one of only 3 vessels - Scimitar, Cutlass and Sabre, their subsequent histories are well documented - all being purchased by Greek Shipping magnates. They only had 2 Proteus Gas Turbines (while they could have had a third fitted, but that never happened whilst serving with the RN). The advertisment above was also very interesting as it shows a converted Danish 'Brave' class. P513 was orginally built under licence by the Royal Dockyard Copenhagen and named "Sonesten" - laid down Sept 1963 - completed June 1966.

Pioneer - Forum Moderator
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 3:44pm
Aha-I'd assumed that because it says ex-British FPB that she'd served in the RN but of course this could be a reference to the fact that she was built in England.The completion date doesn't tally though('71 not '66).
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:35pm

Hello Christian

I was refering to the advertisement above the one that you assume to be a 'Scimitar'. The craft advertised as Brave Seastallion -ex P513 - is, as I suggested, one of the six craft built under licence by the Danish Royal Dockyard.

Your 'Scimitar' is showing as having an overall length of 98 ft - near enough to 100 I admit - I shall try and get the ID of this craft - fascinating discovery Christian - thanks for sharing the info

Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2005 at 10:42am
Now I understand the confusion,I hadn't seen the advert above the one I was looking at.I have now though.WOW!3 x Rolls Royce Turbines EACH 4250hp 50plus knots...Oh yes,and 2xGM230hp diesels    just for popping down the shops.If you look at photo2 you can see her sistership alongside.If she's similarly equipped thats 26,420 propulsive hp in that picture.These boats are presumably licence built Perkasas?I wonder if Brave Borderer or Swordsman are lurking anywhere...
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2005 at 10:14pm

Hello Christian

Yes, a little confusion but we got there in the end. P513 - now Brave Sea Stallion - was a Danish built 'Brave'. I have a shot of her and another unidentified Danish 'Brave' alongside a wharf in Belgium before the professional conversion took place. I also have the build dates and Danish names and Pennant numbers of those 6 craft if you would like them. You could send your e-address via the message facility here or write direct to tedelse@ntlworld.com I understand that HMS Brave Swordsman is in a private Museum in Falmouth UK, maybe someone could enlighten us further?  

Best Regards

Ted

Edited by Pioneer
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 12:24am

Hello Pioneer

Pic of Scimitar (became Greek Aquilon 1983) and boat for sale courtesy J Bultman yachts.

Re Brave Swordsman,according to  Mr Tony Dyer of Emsworth she was broken up at Harry Pounds yard in the late nineties.

Edited by Christian
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 1:20pm

Hello Christian

Yes, Scimitar certainly looks well cared for - Brave Swordsman and Brave Borderer were bought after disposal by the RN, eventually to become part of a 'spares pool' for the Fast Yacht Brave Challenger - as you say finally succumbing to the breakers in the '90's - Considering the importance of these craft, in the developement of GT propulsion, it was a shame - in my opinion - that the Brit Gov't didn't step in and save them.

anddavdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anddavdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 7:50am

Hello to you.

I am an ex crew member of HMS Sabre. I served on her from 1970 when she was handed over by Vosper Thornycroft at Cosham for 3 years and must say it was some of the best times  of my Naval career. I knew the Sabre intimately form Stem to Stern, so if you wish to ask any questions about any of the Scimitar class FTB's then please feel free to ask.

Barry
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 10:50am

Hello Barry - welcome aboard

As you were 'first crew' on HMS Sabre and would have been actively involved with the training exercises -would you know of the accident that befell 'Scimitar. I have heard that she ran -at full chat - into a Harbour wall in the Channel Islands. This then led to a major rebuild of the forard Hull sections which I'm told was then her distinguishing features from the rest of the class. Do you have any photo's of your time aboard? - and I'm sure that we would all like to hear of any exploits that may have occured while you were 'serving' -

Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic