BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H.M.M.T.B 233

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H.M.M.T.B 233
    Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:50pm
Hi All,
             I am doing a project on the War dead from my village of Killearn near Glasgow. There is a Lieutenant James Lovit Fraser RNVR who served on board M.T.B 233 and was killed during a surface action on the 18th of March 1943. Mentioned in Dispatches
 I am looking for any information on the make of boat, flotilla, where it was base at the time of his death. And any information on the raid if it is available. So if you can help or point me in the right direction I would be truly grateful.
Cheers
Rab 
Pioneer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pioneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:14pm
The Veterans web site has a couple of databases - Boat and Casualty - both identifing the person and boat giving very brief details. A post in their Forum may gain you further info.
Regards

Edited by Pioneer - 20 May 2013 at 11:13am
Pioneer - Forum Moderator
MTB2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTB2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 5:20pm
I'm also researching MTB's, but for different reasons. I found this list  http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/16883.html which provides some information you might find helpful.

Edited by Pioneer - 08 July 2013 at 7:57pm
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 8:06pm
Rab 

MTB 233 was a Vosper type 72.5ft MTB built by Berthon Boat Co. delivered in January 1942, disposed of in June 1945 she ended up as Sea Vixen and was used by Highcliffe Sailing Club as their headquarters at Christchurch Priory where she was burnt in 1971. 

see;

Edited by Christian - 09 July 2013 at 9:50am
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 12:32pm
Hi there,

Just seen this, fantastic to see a photo of the craft itself in its heyday....sad to read burnt down, presume? just for disposal or was it arson perhaps....always a stretch but as we know, the few we have can survive as club houses or more common as houseboats...many thanks,

Johnk
Christian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 4:36pm
Hi John

I think in the majority of cases they were burnt as this was the easiest way to dispose of the hulks once they were rotten and no good for anything.
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2013 at 8:34am
Hi Christian,

Indeed, quite simple, the article on the link said beached on steel plates making it easy to recover brass and copper......many thanks,

Johnk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic