BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > High Speed Launches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HSL 121

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HSL 121
    Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:34am
Hi all, being the new kid on the block I hope someone can help me.   My father served on the HSLs during the war, out of Grimsby, as an engineer.   I believe he served on HSL 121 - I have photos of it which I will post once I have purchased a new scanner.    Interesting to see HSL 122 in the site video!!
This site is the nearest I have found on the internet which gives any information on Air Sea Rescue boats.   I would have expected ASR units to have maintained an operational log in the same way as the flying units do - does anyone know if this is the case? and, if so, where the information is stored?   I would love to see information about the trips my father took part in.  
I have one family story about his boat being on a rescue mission in the North Sea, striking a mine which apparently took off a large part of the stern, and the crew managing to get back to port together with rescued airman.   I have copies of a number of cartoons which appear to show the boat with the stern "tacked together" and still operating.   Anyone interested ?
Regards, Sureduts
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 8:41pm
Hi Sureduts,

Welcome aboard there and your very interesting post, sure if you would care to please do post the pictures, as they will be spread through to people who are very interested in ASR and the craft associated with them, yes heard stories of the bows blown off and the vessel towed backwards to base......I am sure? there is an ASR group, sure hon. fellow members who know a lot more will advise,

Johnk
barnacle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 2:56pm
Hi there Sureduts.

There is indeed a website dedicated to the ASR/MCS of the RAF.

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/gallery/121/

Follow this link to the website and then look for the 'Boats Website'

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 11:07am
Hi Barnacle

Just picked up your reply - many thanks for the steer to the ASRMCS site, I will follow that up.   Just to fulfill my previous promise, here are the pics I found in my father's effects, I hope you find them interesting.   Oh Dear !   I uploaded 6 pics to the server but only one (the last one) is showing here - perhaps someone will advise how to show all 6, please.

Regards, Sureduts
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 4:41pm
I will post pics one by one.
Regards, Sureduts
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 4:42pm
Regards, Sureduts
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 4:43pm
Regards, Sureduts
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 4:44pm
Regards, Sureduts
Sureduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sureduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 4:45pm
Regards, Sureduts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic