BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Boats (In alphabetical order) > Motor Torpedo Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTB 219

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 2:41pm
Hi. There is considerable correspondence re ex-MTB 253, later Motor Yacht Medyna, on "General Message Board on where boats are" on this BMPT site, pages 23, 42 and 43.
She is now sunk in Damhead Creek nearly in front of Kingsnorth Power Station off the River Medway. Did not sink due to fault in vessel, but was deliberately sunk by one side in an ownership dispute.
Having owned and loved her, worked and spent fortunes on her, re-engined her, cruised her round England, France, Belgium and Holland, and lived aboard her for nearly 16 years, I was sad about this end, but she outlasted nearly all the others nevertheless. Was incredibly well built, and as late as 1984 I had her surveyed and she passed with flying colours, to the extent that I was then permitted and insured to take other people's children, members of Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts to sea, to France to celebrate 40th anniversary of D-Day. You will find much info also available from member ASR1255, whose godson later owned her as a houseboat at Hoo, Kent.
I don't know your interest in her, but delighted she's not forgotten.
Peter Leggett.
Peter Leggett, former owner (1976-1991) ex MTB 253, later Motor Yacht Medyna.
Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 3:27pm
Hi Peter,

I'm trying to map all of the surviving Coastal Forces craft that are still in use either as restored vessels or houseboats. I saw most of the posts about MTB 253, but I confess, not the 43rd page. 

I found her on Google Earth in 2007 imagery, but by the 2015 imagery she'd left the mooring. I think, from the description you've given, that I've just found her in the creek, but as you say she isn't floating any more.

It's a great shame. I've found some 35 vessels so far, but there are so many that have only been lost in the last decade that had been in very good condition not long previously.

Regards,
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic