BMPT Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairmile H

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByWire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairmile H
    Posted: 07 September 2015 at 9:34pm
Hello,

I'm currently building a model of a Fairmile H LCS(L) and I'm trying to find out what some of the deck "objects" are.

I've attached an image below - can anybody tell me what the box I've highlighted in red is, please?

The Fairmile H seems to have these as both LCI(S) and LCS(L) types.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Mystery Box
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 8:13am
Hi there,

Can't offer a lot, well nothing really! do recall shots of one at Shoreham, the distinctive armour plates attached to the hull I remember seeing in the photo, interesting to see one complete...the box, having said what I said, my thought would be a life jacket box? seen similar aboard other vessels, allows easy access and to dry out through the slats, or perhaps mooring ropes.....but I am of course NOT an expert by any means, aware much great minds than mine around on this site.

Johnk
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 1:06pm
Hi there,

Just had to comment on the small, tank? gun turret on the forward end, extraordinary, saw on the film of JFK when in PT boats, showed him fitting a very heavy caliber gun to his vessel..

Johnk
FlyByWire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByWire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 8:57pm
Hi John,

thanks for your thoughts on this - a box for life jackets or mooring ropes seems plausible to me - certainly, the slats would suggest something that needs to dry out.

The tank on the foredeck is pretty crazy, isn't it?!  My copy of "Allied Landing Craft of WWII" just says it's a "6pdr turret", although I'm sure I've read somewhere it was a Rolls Royce turret, presumably from a tank.

Apparently, the Russian navy had the same idea and produce a rather purposeful looking gunboat which, again, I'm sure I read somewhere was intended for use in river warfare:

All the best,

Paul

johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2015 at 4:26pm
Hi Paul,

Many thanks your last, as I say, happy to be corrected, 6 pdr, quite a piece! yes, see that really as with the H to my mind, a heavy gun platform to support landings, though not new, the M331? at Gosport, knocked together really to support massive gun for shore bombardment. Odd but great vessel, think the one at Shoreham is no more.....hope to see pics of the model in due course, all the best.

Johnk
johnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2015 at 4:27pm
Hi Again,

Indeed, Russian vessel for river work! quite something.

Johnk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic